Partners in Justice International (PJI) is committed to protecting the privacy of our web site visitors, donors, and supporters.
This privacy notice (“Privacy Notice”) describes how we collect, use, protect, delete, and disclose information about you, including specifically when you use our website (the “Website”), and what we may use it for. This statement may be changed or updated at any time. By visiting www.partnersinjustice.org and/or providing the information described below, you acknowledge that you accept the terms of this Privacy Notice. If you do not agree to the terms of this Privacy Notice, please do not use the Website. This Privacy Notice also applies to our collection and use of information in the normal course of our work. This Privacy Notice is at all times subject to any applicable requirements of local law and regulation.
This Privacy Notice describes:
- what personal information we collect about you;
- how we obtain your personal information;
- how we use your personal information;
- on what basis we use your personal information;
- how long we keep your personal information;
- who we share your personal information with;
- how we protect your personal information;
- which countries we transfer your personal information to; and
- your rights regarding your personal information.
If you have any questions or comments regarding this Privacy Notice or the processing of your personal information by PJI, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What personal information do we collect about you?
We may collect personal information from you in the course of our work, including through your use of our website, by our use of “cookies,” when you contact or request information from us, when you engage our services or as a result of your relationship with one or more of our staff and clients. The personal information we may collect and use includes:
- name and contact details (including addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, titles and other business information);
- logs of emails and internet use, including your use of the Website;
- financial information, such as donation-related information;
- technical information, such as information from your visits to our website or applications or in relation to materials and communications we send to you electronically;
- information you provide to us for the purposes of attending meetings and events, including access and dietary requirements;
- identification and background information provided by you or collected as part of our new work acceptance processes;
- personal information provided to us by or on behalf of our clients or generated by us in the course of providing services to them, which may include special categories of data; and
- any other information relating to you which may be provided to us.
How we obtain your personal information
We collect information or data from you in various ways, including:
- during the course of your use of the Website (this will include any and all material you send or submit either to the Website or to any email address provided on the Website);
- information which you provide to us and when we request further information from you from time to time;
- as part of our new work acceptance processes;
- while monitoring our technology tools and services, including our Website and email communications sent to and from PJI;
- when you provide it to us, or interact with us directly, for instance engaging with our staff;
- from providers of compliance-related information or credit-related information; and
- from other sources, such as keeping the contact details we already hold for you accurate and up to date using publicly available sources.
How we use your personal information
We collect and use data collected from you (however collected), including any personal information, for the following legitimate purposes of PJI:
- administration of our Website, digital platforms and applications;
- to process your requests and answer your inquiries;
- include you on our direct mail or email list;
- administration of your donations;
- acknowledge and thank you for donations, services, or volunteer work;
- provide news and other updates;
- invite you to meetings, events, and seminars;
- alert you to employment or volunteer opportunities;
- ask for financial support;
- seek your feedback;
- communicate with you on other PJI matters not listed above; and
- matters incidental to the purposes of use set out above, where permitted by applicable local law and regulation.
Your personal information may also be used by PJI for compliance with legal, regulatory and other good governance obligations, including responding to requests from legal or regulatory authorities (in any location where such authorities would have jurisdiction over PJI), dispute resolution and pursuing our legal rights.
You may use the Website without providing us with your personal information. However, some features on the Website allow you to provide us voluntarily with personal information. All practicable steps will be taken to ensure that you are informed at the time of asking for your personal information as to whether the provision/collection of the personal information (including sensitive personal information, subject to applicable local laws and regulations) is mandatory or voluntary. If the provision of your personal information is mandatory for a specified purpose, we will let you know that this is the case and inform you of the consequences of failure to provide such personal information.
Meetings, events and seminars
We will collect and process personal information about you in relation to your attendance at our offices or at an event or seminar organized by PJI or its partners. We will only process and use special categories of personal information about your dietary or access requirements in order to cater for your needs and to meet any other legal or regulatory obligations we may have. We may share your information with IT and other service providers or partners involved in organizing or hosting the relevant event.
Program and related services
We collect, create, hold and use personal information in the course of and in connection with the services we provide. We will process identification and background information as part of our new work acceptance, finance, administration and marketing processes, including anti-money laundering, conflict, reputational and financial checks. We will also process personal information provided to us by or on behalf of our clients for the purposes of the work we do for them. The information may be disclosed to third parties to the extent we think it is reasonably necessary in connection with that work. Please also see “Who we share your personal information with” and “Which countries we transfer your personal information to” below.
If you submit personal information to us via any of the e-mail addresses specified on our Contact page or to an e-mail address specified in the Get Involved page for applying for a position at PJI, we will process such personal information solely for the purposes of considering applications and recruitment, not for marketing purposes.
We may also collect data that may include your personal information by sending “cookies” to your browser, which will store them in your device (e.g., computer, phone, etc.) in order to facilitate your browsing. A cookie is a small chunk of information sent by our web server to the web browser software that you are using to access the Website. A cookie enables our web server to collect information from your web browser software.
On what basis we use your personal information
We use your personal information on the following bases:
- to perform a contract, such as engaging with an individual to provide legal or other services;
- for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims or proceedings;
- to comply with legal and regulatory obligations; and
- for legitimate purposes related to our work and mission. Please see “How we use your personal information” for more details.
How long we keep your personal information
PJI endeavors to ensure that personal information is kept up-to-date and that irrelevant, excessive or out-of-date personal information is updated or deleted. To determine the appropriate retention period for your personal information, we will consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process the personal information and whether we can achieve such purposes through other means, the applicable legal and regulatory requirements (including requirements to retain the personal information for a minimum period), limitation periods for taking legal action, good practice and PJI’s work and mission-related purposes.
Who we share your personal information with
PJI will not sell your personal information, and we will not pass your personal information to any third parties except in the circumstances set out in this policy.
We may allow our staff, volunteers, consultants, or other providers acting on our behalf (for example, our website hosts) to access and use your personal information for the purposes for which you have provided it to us. If we do this, we will not give those individuals/organizations any rights to use your personal information (or to contact you) except in accordance with this policy.
Personal information may be shared with other non-affiliated third parties, including:
- service providers which perform certain services on behalf of PJI, pursuant to our direction, or as directed or consented to by you, including providers of word processing, translation, photocopying and document review;
- third parties engaged in the course of the services we provide to clients, such as barristers, local counsel and technology service providers like data room and case management services;
- third parties involved in hosting events or seminars;
- auditors and professional advisors; and
- regulatory authorities, courts and tribunals, government agencies and law enforcement agencies (such as the police).
We will share personal information with these third parties where permitted by applicable laws and regulations:
- for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice;
- as may be required by applicable law or regulation;
- as provided for by any contractual arrangement; or
- in connection with PJI’s work and our operations (including where disclosure is necessary or desirable in order to facilitate the conduct of a specific matter, including transactions, cases or other matters).
PJI may use social media sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. If you use these services, you should review their privacy policies for more information on how they deal with your personal information.
We will not sell, rent, distribute or otherwise make personal information commercially available to any third party except with your prior permission.
Which countries we transfer your personal information to
The Internet is a global environment and PJI’s headquarters are in the United States of America. In order to conduct our work, we may need to transfer personal information to locations outside the local jurisdiction in which you are viewing the Website and process personal information outside that jurisdiction for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice.
International transfers between PJI offices
The PJI office or entity which collects such personal information is the responsible party to administer and manage such personal information although it may transfer personal information to other PJI offices or entities for the purposes described above. Please note that personal information sent to us or submitted via the Website may therefore be controlled and processed by any of PJI’s offices, some of which are outside your local jurisdiction and specifically outside the European Economic Area (the “EEA”). The location of our offices or entities may change from time to time and we may establish offices or entities in any number of countries or territories at any time, any one or more of which may act as controllers of, or processors of, such personal information.
Please be aware that the data protection and privacy laws in those jurisdictions may not provide for the same level of protection of your personal information as exists in your home country or in the EEA.
International transfers to third parties
In addition to transfers to other PJI offices or entities, some of the third parties to whom we may transfer your personal information for the purposes described above may also be located in countries or territories which are outside your local jurisdiction and specifically outside the EEA. The data protection and privacy laws in those jurisdictions may not provide for the same level of protection of your personal information as exists in your home country or in the EEA. Where this is the case, PJI will take reasonable measures to ensure that your personal information is treated securely and in accordance with the requirements of applicable data protection laws and regulations.
Security of electronic communications
Please note that any electronic communication made between you and us, including via the Website, may not be secure and, unless you are already a client, may not be treated as privileged or confidential. While we welcome your enquiries, please do not send us any electronic communication that contains any confidential or sensitive personal information or data.
Your rights regarding your personal information
Subject to the provisions of local laws and regulations from time to time, you may be entitled:
- to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation and subject to certain conditions, to the processing of your personal information;
- to request confirmation as to whether PJI has personal information relating to you;
- to access the personal information about you being processed by PJI and to obtain certain information about the processing of that personal information;
- to require PJI to rectify any inaccurate or incomplete personal information about you;
- to require PJI to erase personal information about you in certain circumstances, subject to compliance with any applicable data retention obligation;
- to restrict PJI from processing personal information about you in certain circumstances;
- to receive personal information relating to you in a format that can be processed by a device and the right to have personal information relating to you transferred to another data controller in certain circumstances;
- to stop unauthorized transfers of your personal information to a third party; and
- if you are subject to French data protection laws, to establish guidelines for the preservation, deletion and transmission of your personal information after your death.
Should you wish to discuss your entitlement to, or exercise of any such rights, please contact email@example.com
You may also have the right to lodge a complaint in relation to PJI’s processing of your personal information with a local supervisory authority.